We hope you are having a great summer filled with sunshine and delicious local foods! July was a very busy month and the first time we have skipped an email blast since beginning in January of 2021! Don’t worry, this email blast was worth the wait. We are ecstatic to share some information on light that has been life changing to us and our health.
This Month’s Resources
Light is the Key to Optimal Health
Over the last several months, Optimal Wellness has been diving deep into learning about IR/UV sunlight and blue light. Much of this knowledge coming from neurosurgeon and longevity expert, Dr. Jack Kruse. Kruse is also a decentralized doctor, Bitcoiner, and is a grounding advocate. He is a contrarian that goes against the mainstream health narrative and is willing to call people out as he presents new research about circadian health, light, water, and magnetism.
Some key takeaways from Dr. Kruse:
- Humans are beings of light. Our skin is a solar panel for our brain and heart.
- Getting early sunlight (Infrared Light) into the eyes within the first few hours of it rising aids in optimal health and can help prevent sunburn later in the day when the sun is at its strongest.
- Building a solar callus can also aid in avoiding sun burn.
- Not wearing sunglasses helps the body know that it is sunny and produce more melanin which ALSO helps to avoid sunburn.
- We should be waking up at sunrise any chance we get, ideally with feet on the earth.
- SSRI’s and other prescription medication can make you photosensitive to light.
- Many sunscreen includes chemicals that can cause cancer. If you are in the process of building a solar callus try a tallow based sunscreen such as: Vanman’s or Dakota Tallow sunscreen.
- Dr. Kruse is also very active on Facebook and shares a lot of great and easy to understand information.
Blue Light Blocking Glasses
What are blue light blocking glasses?
Blue light blocking glasses have filters in their lenses that block or absorb blue light. That means if you use these glasses when looking at a screen, especially after dark, they can help reduce exposure to blue light waves that can keep you awake. They can also help reduce eye strain.
Why do we wear them?
Artificial blue light frequencies suppress melatonin, harm sleep, damage mitochondria, accelerating aging and disease.
When do we wear them?
-First thing in the morning before getting sunlight in the eyes (especially if looking at a phone)
-Dusk or before (Dr. Kruse recommends 3 hours before bedtime)
-At the gym (all blue lit)
-Airports (VERY important if it is dark outside)
What kind do we recommend?
For starters, it seems there is a large blue blocker scam going on nowadays. The clear classes block only 50% of blue light (or less) and they are most likely worthless and not safe to wear after dark. We wear Spectra479 glasses and the tinted orange sunglasses from Yesglasses (they can also make them with a prescription). We came across this article, which gives 5 recommendations and reviews on blue light blocking glasses.
Podcasts and Resources
- The Most Epic Jack Kruse Interview EVER!
- Uncomfortable Truths with Jack Kruse
- Circadian Biology, Melanin, & How to Heal Your Mitochondria
- Dr Jack Kruse: LIGHT, melanin, POMC in human evolution & disease
- Lights Should Support Circadian Rhythms: Evidence-Based Scientific Consensus
If you are looking to dig deeper into any of the information provided above, please check out some of our favorite resources.
The Optimal Wellness team has recently returned from Costa Rica for our first international retreat! To see some highlights feel free to check out our Instagram. We hope to do another international retreat in the next few years… in El Salvador!
Don’t forget!! Paisley and Allison are hosting a Wild Witchy Womxn’s Yoga Retreat October 6-8, 2023. Yes, it is Halloween themed and yes, there will be an opportunity for you to wear a costume! We have 2 spots left. Get ready to get real, get raw, and honor your Inner Feminine!